Saturday, March 30, 2013

Concussions Are Not Fun

I now have to question two things I believed were true: 1) I am a good multitasker and 2) I am coordinated.

The other day as I left the house to walk to the bus stop, I fell onto the concrete and hit my knees, hands and chin.  It was a longer walk and the sidewalks were clear, so I thought I would look at email on my Smart phone and drink my coffee.  Not a good idea!  The sidewalk right in front of my house has settled so there is an inch difference.  Since there has been so much snow and ice, I never noticed.

Needless to say, I was dizzy, my ears were ringing, and I was disoriented.  No one saw so I got up and walked into the house.  I was wearing a white shirt, so I knew I had to wash my bloody hands and put bandaids on.  Managed to do this but then passed out over the chair.  Awoke 15 seconds later and made it over the couch.  All I wanted to do was sleep.  Called my husband who could tell I was not right.  He took me to urgent care and the doc said I had a mild concussion.

I thought I would be at work the next day, but when I woke up, my body felt like I had been in a car wreck and sounds sounded much louder than normal.  Today is my fourth day of recovery, my body still hurts and sounds still seem louder, but I am doing better.

Lesson: Do not walk and multitask!  And for that matter, do not drive and multitask!  I guess it took me 40 years to figure that out!

No comments: